|Main Library 4th Floor, Room 415N|
email@example.com | 843-792-8839
Schedule an Appointment
Shannon Jones (she/her) is the Director of Libraries for the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. Shannon is also the Director for Region 2 of the Network of the National Library of Medicine, headquartered at MUSC. Before she arrived at MUSC, Shannon worked as the Associate Director for Research and Education for Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. Shannon focuses her research on staff recruitment and retention, diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in libraries, and leadership in academic health sciences libraries. In 2018, Shannon co-founded the MLA Reads Virtual Book Discussion Club to provide a forum where participants can learn, discuss, and process the implications of a variety of DEI topics in their work as information professionals and in their personal lives. Shannon is the co-editor of Diversity and Inclusion in Libraries: A Call to Action and Strategies for Success and the forthcoming volume, Cultural Humility in Libraries.
EdD, Educational Leadership, Charleston Southern University (2022)
M.Ed. Adult Learning, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond (2012)
MIS Information Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2004)
MLS Library Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2002)
BA English, North Carolina State University, Raleigh (1998)
- Jones, S. D., & Murphy, B. (Eds.). (2019). Diversity and Inclusion in Libraries: A Call to Action and Strategies for Success. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Bartley, K., Jones, S.D., Murphy, B., Nelson, T.M., Weeks, A., & Williams, J. (2022). Virtual Chat & Chew: Radical Self-Care for BIPOC Information Professionals. In Alexander, C. (Ed.), Leadership Wellness and Mental Health Concerns in Higher Education. IGI Global.
- Jones, S.D., Bartley, K., DeSantis, M., Harris, R., Jason, D., & Rios, D. (2022). Braving our Blind Spots: Using a Virtual Book Discussion Group to Continue Conversations on Implicit Bias in Libraries. In C. Lee & B. Lym (Eds.), Implementing Excellence in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: A Handbook for Academic Libraries (pp. 231-255). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Jones, S. (2021). Budgeting for Library Programming. In S. Gilliam, & N. Williams (Eds.), Planning and Promoting Events in Health Sciences Libraries (pp. 23-33). Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Jones, S. (2020). The Academic Trinity: African American, Female, Leader. In I. Ruffin, & C. Powell (Eds.), The Emotional Self at Work in Higher Education (pp. 147-164). IGI Global.
- Jones, S. D. (2017). Leadership begins with you. In A. Olivas (Ed.),Choosing to lead: The motivational factors of underrepresented minority librarians in higher education(pp. 35-46). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Murphy, B., & Jones, S. D. (2017). Core competencies across the profession. In J. G. Coghill & R. G. Russell (Eds.),Developing librarian competencies for the digital age(pp. 133-142). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield
- Jones, Shannon and Jean Shipman. Health Information Referral Project: Librarians and Physicians Collaborate to Empower Patients with Quality Health Information. Virginia Libraries. 50(2):1116. April-June 2004
- Weeks, A., Bartley, K., Jones, S., Moses, T., Nelson, T., & Wiliams, J. We Got You! Empowering BIPOC Information Professionals through Virtual Development Opportunities. Immersion Session. Medical Library Association Virtual Conference, May 26, 2021.
- Bedi, S. and Jones, S. Cultivating Inclusive Workplaces Panel. Canadian Health Libraries Association / Association des bibliothèques de la santé du Canada Leadership Institute. February 26, 2020.
- Jones, S. Be Brave, Be Bold and Be You: Unleashing Your Brilliance as a Library Leader. Residency Interest Group, Association of Colleges and Research Libraries. October 9, 2019.
- Breland, HL, Brittain, KL, Demonbruen, KA, Jones, SD, Mund, AR and Jompobe Vuthiganon. Presidential Scholars Program: An interprofessional Program to Foster Community Engagement and Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) Annual Meeting, March 16, 2015
- Jones, Shannon D. Employee Onboarding: Preparing New Librarians for Professional Success. MAC/MLA Annual Meeting, October 15, 2013
- Jones, Shannon D. Into the Deep: Improving Patron Engagement Through Embedded Librarianship. Virginia Chapter, Special Library Association, November 30, 2012
Selected Recognition and Awards
- Fellowship, Medical Library Association, 2022
- Library Journal Mover & Shaker - Change Agent, 2021
- Marguerite Abel Service Recognition Award recipient, Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA, 2005