|Main Library 4th Floor, Room 419D|
firstname.lastname@example.org | 843-792-8839
Schedule an Appointment
Shannon Jones (she/her/hers) is the Director of Libraries for the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. Shannon is also Director for Region 2 of the Network of the National Library of Medicine headquartered at MUSC. Prior to her arrival at MUSC, Shannon worked as the Associate Director for Research and Education for Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. Shannon focuses her research on staff recruitment and retention, diversity, equity, and inclusion in libraries, and leadership in academic health sciences libraries. Shannon is the co-editor of Diversity and Inclusion in Libraries: A Call to Action and Strategies for Success. She holds an MLS from North Carolina Central University and an M.Ed. in Adult Learning from Virginia Commonwealth University. She is currently pursuing an Ed.D in Educational Leadership at Charleston Southern University.
M.Ed. Adult Learning, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond (2012)
MIS Information Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2004)
MLS Library Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2002)
BA English, North Carolina State University, Raleigh (1998)
- Jones, S. D. (2017). Leadership begins with you. In A. Olivas (Ed.), Choosing to lead: The motivational factors of underrepresented minority librarians in higher education (pp. 35-46). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Murphy, B., & Jones, S. D. (2017). Core competencies across the profession. In J. G. Coghill & R. G. Russell (Eds.), Developing librarian competencies for the digital age (pp. 133-142). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield
- Brady, K., Brown, R., Johnson, E., Jones, S., Henderson, M., Ladd, D., McDaniel, J. (2012). Profiles in science for science librarians: John Bennett Fenn. Science & Technology Libraries, 31(1), 46-63. doi:10.1080/0194262X.2012.648085
- Jones, Shannon. Bring Out the Leader in You! New Members Column, MLA News, no. 394. March 2007
- Jones, Shannon and Jean Shipman. Health Information Referral Project: Librarians and Physicians Collaborate to Empower Patients with Quality Health Information. Virginia Libraries. 50(2):1116. April-June 2004
- Breland, HL, Brittain, KL, Demonbruen, KA, Jones, SD, Mund, AR and Jompobe Vuthiganon. Presidential Scholars Program: An interprofessional Program to Foster Community Engagement and Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) Annual Meeting, March 16, 2015
- Jones, Shannon D. Employee Onboarding: Preparing New Librarians for Professional Success. MAC/MLA Annual Meeting, October 15, 2013
- Jones, Shannon D. Into the Deep: Improving Patron Engagement Through Embedded Librarianship. Virginia Chapter, Special Library Association, November 30, 2012
- Kreutzer, Kathleen, Hart, Jan, and Shannon Jones. Small Group Discussion: Beyond the Literature Search Workshop: How can librarians, curriculum planners, and teaching faculty best work together to promote evidence-based teaching? 2012 SGEA Annual Conference, April 20, 2012
- Jones, Shannon D. Now that they are here — Equipping New Librarians to Deliver Their Elevator Speech. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 16, 2011
Selected Recognition and Awards
- Fellow, National Library of Medicine/ Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Program, 2011-2012
- Fellow, Leadership and Career Development Program, Association of Research Libraries, 2007-2008.
- Marguerite Abel Service Recognition Award recipient, Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA, 2005