|Main Library 4th Floor, Room 419D|
firstname.lastname@example.org | 843-792-8839
Schedule an Appointment
Shannon Jones joined the MUSC Libraries faculty in 2014 as the Assistant Director for Program Development and Resource Integration. She was appointed director of MUSC Libraries in 2016. As Director of Libraries, Shannon is responsible for the vision, leadership and management of all aspects of the library including strategic planning, budgeting, technology integration, facility management and operation, and personnel. Prior to her arrival at MUSC, Shannon worked at the Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. In her spare time, Shannon serves as a leader for Girl Scout Troop 263.
M.Ed. Adult Learning, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond (2012)
MIS Information Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2004)
MLS Library Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham (2002)
BA English, North Carolina State University, Raleigh (1998)
- Jones, S. D. (2017). Leadership begins with you. In A. Olivas (Ed.), Choosing to lead: The motivational factors of underrepresented minority librarians in higher education (pp. 35-46). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Murphy, B., & Jones, S. D. (2017). Core competencies across the profession. In J. G. Coghill & R. G. Russell (Eds.), Developing librarian competencies for the digital age (pp. 133-142). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield
- Brady, K., Brown, R., Johnson, E., Jones, S., Henderson, M., Ladd, D., McDaniel, J. (2012). Profiles in science for science librarians: John Bennett Fenn. Science & Technology Libraries, 31(1), 46-63. doi:10.1080/0194262X.2012.648085
- Jones, Shannon. Bring Out the Leader in You! New Members Column, MLA News, no. 394. March 2007
- Jones, Shannon and Jean Shipman. Health Information Referral Project: Librarians and Physicians Collaborate to Empower Patients with Quality Health Information. Virginia Libraries. 50(2):1116. April-June 2004
- Breland, HL, Brittain, KL, Demonbruen, KA, Jones, SD, Mund, AR and Jompobe Vuthiganon. Presidential Scholars Program: An interprofessional Program to Foster Community Engagement and Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR) Annual Meeting, March 16, 2015
- Jones, Shannon D. Employee Onboarding: Preparing New Librarians for Professional Success. MAC/MLA Annual Meeting, October 15, 2013
- Jones, Shannon D. Into the Deep: Improving Patron Engagement Through Embedded Librarianship. Virginia Chapter, Special Library Association, November 30, 2012
- Kreutzer, Kathleen, Hart, Jan, and Shannon Jones. Small Group Discussion: Beyond the Literature Search Workshop: How can librarians, curriculum planners, and teaching faculty best work together to promote evidence-based teaching? 2012 SGEA Annual Conference, April 20, 2012
- Jones, Shannon D. Now that they are here — Equipping New Librarians to Deliver Their Elevator Speech. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 16, 2011
Selected Recognition and Awards
- Fellow, National Library of Medicine/ Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Leadership Fellows Program, 2011-2012
- Fellow, Leadership and Career Development Program, Association of Research Libraries, 2007-2008.
- Marguerite Abel Service Recognition Award recipient, Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA, 2005