- ACR Disaster Preparedness Primer
(American College of Radiology)
- This site requires registration.
- Advice for Safeguarding Buildings Against Chemical or Biological Attack
- From the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Intended for emergency personnel and building operators.
- APIC Education
- A list of courses and training from the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology.
- Are You Ready? A Guide to Citizen Preparedness
- From the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Describes disaster survival techniques, disaster-specific information, and how to prepare for and respond to both natural and man-made disasters.
- Be Ready
- Information on preparedness for the general public from the US Dept of Homeland Security
- Biosecurity and Bioterrorism
- Selected issues and articles available for free.
- Bioterrorism and Drug Preparedness
- Site includes information developed by the FDA as well as links to other sites. Information provided about anthrax treatments, smallpox vaccines and other agents. Includes infomation for the general public. Primary focus drug treatment; significant focus on drug treatment in special populations such as pregnant and lactating women.
- Bioterrorism and Health System Preparedness
(Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ))
- A series of free Web-assisted conference calls on bioterrorism and health system preparedness.
- Bioterrorism Preparedness (SHEA)
- From the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, Inc.
- CDC: Public Health Emergency Preparedness & Response
- A comprehensiver resource on bioterrorism, guidelines to detect & treat agents of bioterrorism, who to contact in suspected events, and much more.
- Center For Biosecurity, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Academic website for information on bioterrorism planning and response
- Center for Public Health Preparedness and Disaster Response
- From the American Medical Association.
- Chemical Emergency Preparedness and Prevention
- From the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Homeland Security
- Disaster Center
- Covers all types of hazardous situations and disasters in the United States. Includes current and historical aspects.
- Disaster Preparation Handbook
(Washington Military Department Emergency Management Division)
- A planning and response guide for natural and man-made disasters.
- The link above requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are unable to view or download this article, get Acrobat Reader here.
- Disasters & Emergencies
(U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Disasters (MedlinePlus)
- Provides sites aimed at the consumer.
- Emergency Response Resources
- From the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- FEMA Lessons Learned Information Sharing
- LLIS.gov is the national network of Lessons Learned, Best Practices, innovative ideas, and preparedness information for homeland security and emergency response professionals.
- Health Care Services: Bioterrorism Preparedness
- Hurricane-Related Information for Health Care Professionals
- CDC 2012 Biosafety Symposium Proceedings
- From the CDC Office of Health and Safety
- Management of Public Health Emergencies: A Resource Guide for Physicians and Other Community Responders
(American Medical Association)
- Mass Prophylaxis/Vaccination Campaign Staffing Model
- From the Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- Mass Trauma Preparedness and Response, CDC's Injury Center
- From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Designed to provide information and tools to help the public, public health professionals, and clinicians prepare for and respond to mass trauma.
- Medical Device and Hurricane Emergencies
(U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism
- Includes a Terrorism Knowledge base providing information about specific groups and incidents and a Responder Knowledge Base to serve the needs of Emergency Responders.
- National Laboratory Training Network (NLRN)
- Sponsored by the Association of Public Health Laboratories & The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Includes materials for laboratory training.
- Nuclear Biological Chemical Preparedness Final Report
- This report outlines the objectives, content, and competencies for the training of emergency medical technicians, emergency physicians, and emergency nurses to care for casualties resulting from nuclear, biological or chemical (NBC) incidents. Produced by the Office of Emergency Preparedness, the American College of Emergency Physicians, the American College of Emergency Medicine, the American College of Medical Toxicology, the American Hospital Association, the American Nurses Association, the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc, the Emergency Nurses Association, the International Association of Fire chiefs, the National Association of Emergency Medical Services Physicians, the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians, the National Association of State Emergency Medical Services Directors, and the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.
- Positioning America's Emergency Health Care System to Respond to Acts of Terrorism.
- A report of the Terrorism Response Task Force, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Preparedness for Deliberate Epidemics (WHO)
- From the World Health Organzation (WHO).
- Preparing for Terrorism: Tools for Evaluating the Metropolitan Medical Response System Program
- Textbook providing three evaluation tools and a three-part assessment method for evaluating local capabilities for dealing with chemical, biological, or radiological terrorism. Choose the Read option from the middle of the page to read the text for free.
- Radiation Disasters: Preparedness and Response for Radiology Oncology
(American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, American College of Radiology & American Association of Physicists in Medicine)
- Radiation Emergencies
- From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Designed to health professionals and general public prepare for radiation emergencies.
- Recognizing Waterborne Disease And The Health Effects of Water Pollution: Physician On-line Reference Guide
- A continuing education program sponsored by the American College of Preventive Medicine. Provides a repository of educational information and preparedness resources to help practicing physicians recognize and evaluate waterborne diseases and to be able to manage the health effects of water pollution or contamination.
- Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health
(New York Academy of Medicine)
- The Guide provides a single point of access to essential information resources in public health and disaster preparedness, selected and cataloged by information specialists.
- SCEMD South Carolina Emergency Management Division
- South Carolina AHEC Bioterrorism Net
- Bioterrorism Net addresses the training needs of practicing healthcare professionals in SC for bioterrorism and public health emergency event recognition and response. Information about online courses and training locations are regularly posted on this site.
- STANDING OPERATING PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING, HANDLING AND SHIPMENT OF BIOMEDICAL SAMPLES
- This document provides information on procedures for obtaining, handling and shipment of biomedical samples for analysis as described in TB MED 296 at the US Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense (USAMRICD). This is a Micorsoft Word document and must be downloaded from the above site ( see red box in upper right corner of the screen.)The analytical methodologies utilized for sample analysis are for forensic investigational purposes only. They are not FDA approved clinical procedures and are not intended to provide the physician with information to implement or modify treatment.
- USC Center for Public Health Preparedness
(USC Arnold School of Public Health)
- An academic center to help prepare the nation's public health workforce to recognize and respond to acts of bioterrorism.
- Animals in Disasters
- A compilation of sites on Animal Disaster Plans and Resources for emergencies and disasters. By State, by organization as well as information on shelters, rescue, disposal, evacuation and more.
- WISER, the Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders
(National Library of Medicine)
- This site is designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents. Available as a free standalone application for a variety of PDAs.
- HealthMap News of the World
- HealthMap Global provides current news on disease outbreaks around the world down to the county/city level. Updated as outbreaks are reported.
- Creating an Emergency Plan
- Emergency action plans keep you and your family calm and safe in case of a natural disaster, fire or terrorist attack. This site outlines what plans a family should set up - so you know what to do, where to meet, how to communicate in disasters.