- About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- Provides evidence-based information about herbs, botanicals, supplements and more. Produced by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- AHRQ, a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the lead agency charged with supporting research designed to improve the quality of health care, reduce its cost, and broaden access to essential services. AHRQ's broad programs of research bring practical, science-based information to medical practitioners and to consumers and other health care purchasers.
- American Hospital Formulary Service: Essentials and Drug Information
(Part of Lexicomp Online)
- American Hospital Formulary Service (AHFS) is part of Lexi-Comp. AHFS is a tested and proven source of comparative and unbiased drug information.
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention)
- Covers chemical structure and nomenclature information. Full text. Provided by the National Library of Medicine.
- Cochrane Library
- Covers the effects of interventions in health care and evidence based medicine. Mostly full text. Provided by the MUSC Library.
(National Library of Medicine)
- Covers information about currently marketed drugs. Contains the most recent drug labeling information from the Food and Drug Administration. Full text. Available from your MUSC Library through the National Library of Medicine. NLM regularly uploads this information from the FDA.
- Doctor's Guide to the Internet
- Drug Identifier from MUSCHealth
(MUSC Drug Information)
- Allows one to search for drugs by a specific color, shape, and/or marking. A picture of drugs meeting the criteria are displayed.
- Drug Infobase
- This site lists pharmaceutical agents for which there is a web site or website in development. A generic name list and a brand name list are available.
- Drug Information Association
- Drug Shortages
- Drugs@FDA provides official information about FDA approved brand name and generic drugs and therapeutic biological products.
- Electronic Orange Book: Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Evaluations
- Orange Book identifies drugs on the market that have been approved on the basis of safety and efficacy requirements instituted in 1962. Although the bioequivalence ratings are not binding under generic substitution laws, its primary purpose is to provide information to states regarding generic drugs as acceptable as candidates for substitution formularies.
- Facts & Comparisons eAnswers
- Facts & Comparisons eAnswers provides drug monographs of individual drugs, drug interactions, drug identifier, Black Box Warnings, Bioequivilency codes, Orphan drugs,medication watches. etc.
- Food Chemicals Codex Online
(U. S. Pharmacopeial Convention)
- Food Chemicals Codex Online (FCC) is compendium of purity and quality standards for food ingredients.
- HerbMed® is an interactive, electronic herbal database. It provides hyperlinked access to the scientific data underlying the use of herbs for health. It is an impartial, evidence-based information resource developed by the nonprofit Alternative Medicine Foundation, Inc. The public site provides access to 20 of the most popular herbs.
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices
- This site includes medication safety alerts, forms for reporting errors to the Institute for Safe Medication Practices and the FDA, and self assessment tools.
- Johns Hopkins ABX Guide (uCentral)
- Johns Hopkins ABX Guide is being made available by the MUHA Drug Information Center.
- Johns Hopkins HIV Guide (uCentral)
- Johns Hopkins HIV Guide is being available by the MUHA Drug Information Center.
- Lexicomp Online(SCCP)
- Lexi-Comp covers point-of-care drug information, including drug interactions and drug identification. Full text. Provided by the MUSC Library.
- Lexicomp (mobile app)
- Includes drug summaries, interaction check, drug ID, calculators, IV compatibility, and more.
Go to Lexi-Comp to select your platform and obtain product code. Then download Lexi-Comp mobile app, and create account using MUSC email and provided product code. Update all databases in app. Must obtain new product code every January 31. On-campus use only.
- A pharmaceutical terminology database of over 20,000 terms; provides meanings of pharmaceutical acronyms and abbreviations.
- MedlinePlus: Herbs and Supplements
- from MEDLINE Plus,consists of MedMaster™ from the American Society of Health-system Pharmacists and a subset of the Natural Standard Herbs and Supplements.
- Covers clinical medicine. Full text.
- Medscape Today
- This web site provides a wealth of information for the practicing physician. It does require a one time registration but resources are available for free. If provides options for CME, MEDLINE optimized for physicians, and daily medical news.
- Medwatch the FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
(U. S. Food and Drug Aministration)
- This site provides safety information on drugs and other medical products regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. It includes online reporting forms for professionals and the general public. Links are provided to the regulations concerning mandatory reporting of problems by health professionals.
- Merck Manuals Online Medical Library
(Merck Research Laboratories)
- MUSC Hospital Formulary of Accepted Drugs
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
(Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
- The mission of NGC is to provide healthcare professionals with evidence-based clinical practice guidelines in order to further their dissemination, implementation, and use.
- National Institutes of Health
- Natural Standard, Herbs and Supplements
- Covers complementary and alternative medicine agents. A subset of the full Natural Standard Herbs and Supplements database.
- Nuclear Pharmacy
(College of Pharmacy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences)
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
- Pharmacist's Letter
- Walmart makes Pharmacist\'s Letter available to you at no charge. Click on the link to begin the process.
- PubMed Dietary Supplement Subset
- "ODS and the National Library of Medicine (NLM) partnered to create this Dietary Supplement Subset of NLM's PubMed. PubMed provides access to citations from the MEDLINE database and additional life science journals. It also includes links to many full-text articles at journal Web sites and other related Web resources....The PubMed Dietary Supplement Subset succeeds the International Bibliographic Information on Dietary Supplements (IBIDS) database." From the website.
- Red Book Online
- Red Book provides access to drug pricing and descriptive information for more than 200,000 active and deactivated FDA-approved prescription and over-the-counter(OTC) medications, nutraceuticals, bulk chemicals as well as for some medical devices and supplies.
- RxList, the internet drug index
- Trissel's IV-Chek
- Trissel’s IV-Chek™ is an electronic tool that verifies the compatibility and stability of parenteral medications. Based on the trusted Tressel's2, it is the largest and most comprehensive resource of drug stability and compatibility data available.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF): Recommendations
- The USPSTF was convened to rigorously evaluate clinical research in order to assess the merits of preventive measures, including screening tests, counseling, immunizations, and preventive medications. The topics in these lists include all evidence-based recommendations: active, inactive, and in progress.
- USP Dictionary Online of United States Adopted Names and International Drug Names
(U. S. Pharmacopeial Convention)
- The USP Dictionary Online of USAN and International Drug Names is an annual compilation of United States Adopted Names and International nonproprietary Names published by the World Health Organization. There are 11, 112 nonproprietary drug name entries.
- USP-NF Online
(U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention)
- The United States Pharmacopeia and The National Formulary (USPï¿½NF) contains standards for chemical and biological drug substances, dosage forms, and compounded preparations, excipients, medical devices, and dietary supplements.
USP-NF is currently NOT available. It may not be available until July 7, 2015.
- Virtual Library Pharmacy
- Pill identifier from MedScape
- Medscape\'s Pill Identifier helps you to ID generic and brand name prescription drugs, OTCs, and supplements. Search from over 10,000 tablets and capsules by imprint, color, shape, form, and scoring.
Once a medication is selected, you will be able to: verify drug name, strength, and detailed pill characteristics, access drug dosing, interactions, adverse effects, and warnings.
- Drug Information: A Guide for Pharmacists