Alternatives to Animals in Research
- Alternatives to Animal Testing on the Web
(The Johns Hopkins Center For Alternatives To Animal Testing)
- Altweb, the Alternatives to Animal Testing Web Site, was created to serve as a gateway to alternatives news, information, and resources on the Internet and beyond.
- ALTBIB: Bibliography on Alternatives to Animal Testing
- The intent of the bibliography is to assist in identifying methods and procedures helpful in supporting the development, testing, application, and validation of alternatives to the use of vertebrates in biomedical research and toxicology testing.
- Tips for Searching for Alternatives to Animal Research and Testing
(US Dept. of Agriculture)
- The following guidelines were developed to assist researchers, information specialists, and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) members, when conducting literature searches to determine if alternatives to the use of animals exist and whether a protocol unnecessary duplicates previous research.
- Literature Search Worksheet from NAL (pdf on the right frame)
- \"A comprehensive search is an effective and efficient method for demonstrating compliance with the requirement to consider alternatives to painful/distressful procedures.\" From USDA. APHIS, Animal Care Policy #12.
- Current Research Information System (CRIS)
- CRIS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) documentation and reporting system for ongoing and recently completed research projects in agriculture, food and nutrition, and forestry.
- AGRICOLA - AGRICultural OnLine Access
- Covers agricultural literature including animal and veterinary sciences, entomology, aquaculture and fisheries, food and human nutrition, and environmental sciences. Indexes journal articles, journals, book chapters, reports, books and other resources. Citations only. Provided by the National Agriculture Library.
- NIH Grants: Computer Retrieval of Information on Scientific Projects
- A database of federally funded biomedical research projects conducted at universities, hospitals, and other research institutions.
- AnimAlt-ZEBET (Choose Databases A-Z on left, then AnimAlt-ZEBET)
- A full-text database of evaluated alternative methods to animal experiments in biomedicine and related fields. All documents are evaluated from the \'3-Rs\' concept of Russell and Burch (1959), Replacement-Reduction-Refinement. Sources are approx. 800 different books, journals, and monographs, laws, regulations, directions, guidelines, recommendations, pharmacopoeia, dissertations, congress papers, proceedings of meetings, conferences, and symposia.
- NORINA (A Norwegian Inventory of Alternatives) is an English-language database with information on approximately 3700 audiovisual aids and other alternatives that can be used instead of animals in teaching and training, including dissection alternatives, at from levels from junior school to University level. Created at the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science in Oslo, NORINA has been continually updated since 1991.
- Department of Defense Biomedical Research Database
- This database has been developed from biomedical research, testing or training programs being federally funded.
- NCA (Netherlands Centre Alternatives to animal use)
- A database of information on alternatives to laboratory animal use. The website includes the latest news items, agenda, extensive links pages and their publications which can be freely downloaded.
- TOXNET is a cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas. This system allows searching the nine included databases simultaneously or individually. Included databases are Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS), GENE-TOX,Chemical Carcinogenesis Research Information System (CCRIS), TOXLINE, Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology and Environmental Teratology Information Center (DART/ETIC), Toxics Release Inventory (TRI), and ChemIDplus. Topics covered include human and animal toxicity, safety and handling, environmental fate, risk assessment, mutagenicity test data,carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, tumor promotion and inhibition, developmental and reproductive toxicology of drugs and chemicals. Additionally, the annual estimated release of toxic chemicals to the environment and drug and chemical structures and other information are available.
- Patents: International Patents: esp@cenet®
- Provides links to fulltext patents from 63 countries including the United States, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Austria, and Canada.
- Guide to the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals