These sites contain mostly free materials but may also contain copyrighted materials. Most require statements of attribution on any use of the free materials. In general, the copyrighted materials on these sites can be used for educational, not-for-profit purposes in compliance with the doctrine of "fair use." Users are responsible for ensuring that their use of an image from any of these sites is legal. For more information about copyright information, check the MUSC Copyright Toolkit.
- AnatQuest: Anatomic Images Online
(National Library of Medicine; Visible Human Project)
- AnatQuest is a web-based interface for viewing high resolution Visible Human anatomical images.
- Historical Anatomies on the Web
(History of medicine division, NLM)
- IHM - Images from the History of Medicine
(National Library of Medicine)
- The Images from the History of Medicine database provides access to the prints and photograph collection of the History of Medicine Division of the National Library of Medicine. The collection includes portraits, pictures of institutions, caricatures, genre scenes, posters and graphic art in a variety of media, illustrating the social and historical aspects of medicine
- Images from the Clendening Library
- Use of images for educational purposes free. For other uses higher quality images available for a fee.
Images from texts printed pre-1800
- Medical Images
(Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History)
- NCI Visuals Online
(National Cancer Institute)
- NIH News Image Bank
(National Institutes of Health)
- Parasite Image Library
- Photos, Images, and Videos Catalog
(National Eye Institute)
- Public Health Image Library (PHIL)
(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Most of the images in the collection are in the public domain and are thus free of any copyright restrictions. If you look directly beneath the image you will see a fair use statement that tells you if the image is public domain or copyright protected.
- Talking Glossary of Genetic Terms-Illustrations
(National Human Genome Research Institute)
- Select a term from the list or use the search box. The record will indicate if there is an illustration.
- Visible Human Project
- Three Dimensional Human Male Anatomy based on CT, MRI and Cryosection Images.