Medical University of South Carolina
- Use the Coursepack Analysis flowchart to determine if your coursepack/syllabus is compliant with copyright law. A coursepack is considered to be a compilation of materials that are handed out to students as part of a mediated class.
- This flowchart only covers the topic of copyright compliance. You still must comply, if applicable, with other pertinent policies and regulations, including HIPAA. If you are using actual patient information, data, photographs, or other patient information, you must complete a HIPAA compliance certification available from the MUSC HIPAA officer.
- The Fair Use exemption for handouts to students favors a spontaneous desire on the part of the faculty member to use the work of another for timely course related information to the students. Repeated use of the same material (i.e. from semester to semester) is disfavored.
- Compliance with Fair Use in a coursepack scenario generally requires that copied materials be provided at cost and not for a profit.
- The MUSC Faculty member who creates the coursepack is responsible for complying with these guidelines by following the Coursepack Analysis flowchart and completing the required documentation. If you contribute the work of another to a coursepack, you are responsible for providing to the coursepack organizer assurance that use of the work comports with this guidance.
- For additional information or assistance contact the University General Counsel.