Document Delivery/ILL Policies
- Request Document Delivery -
The MUSC Library provides books and copies of journal articles that are in the Library's collections or available elsewhere through its Document Delivery / InterLibrary Loan services. The Library's policy is to fill only those requests necessary to meet the educational, research or clinical needs of MUSC faculty, staff and students. However, we are unable to obtain assigned textbooks for classes at MUSC or elsewhere. Requests for items needed for personal interests should be submitted to the Charleston County Library or via PASCAL Delivers.
Who can use these services?
MUSC faculty, staff and students may request articles and books.
MUSC Alumni Association Members please use our Loansome Doc Service
How do I use these services?
Complete a Document Delivery / InterLibrary Loan form available as an electronic request form.
How long does Interlibrary Loan take?
We pride ourselves on quickly processing requests submitted by our patrons. Once we have processed and submitted your request to another Library, delivery time is largely dependent on the lending institution filling the request. We cannot predict or guarantee a delivery date or time. Current average turn-around times have been noted below. Your requested item may take longer to arrive.
Average Turn-around Time
- Article Copy - 1.3 Business Days
- Original Item (Book, etc.) - 6 Business Days
- RUSH Request - 0.4 Business Days (We do not charge if the article takes more than 2 Business Days to arrive)
How many books may I request, and how long may I keep a book I get via Interlibrary Loan??
There is not a limit to the the number of books you may request, but an individual book title will only be obtained once for each patron each academic year. Interlibrary Loan books are checked out for 3 weeks, and sometimes a short renewal may be possible. Contact: Interlibrary Loan
How much does it cost?
InterLibrary Loan: Items available external to the MUSC library collection:
- MUSC Faculty and Staff: no charge for the basic service, $15 rush (2 working days)
- MUSC Students: no charge for the basic service, $7.50 rush (2 working days)
Document Delivery: Items available in the Library's print journal collection (Scanned copies):
- Free to MUSC Faculty, Staff, and Students at this time. There is no guaranteed delivery time-frame. Average turn-around time is 2-3 business days. Immediate access to these items for check out or self-service copying is available on the 3rd Floor of the Library Building.
Please Note : Invoices for ILL Rush and Document Delivery charges are mailed out at the beginning of each month. Payment can be made at the Library Circulation Desk or via mail by Cash, check, IIT or Credit Card.
Please e-mail Randall Watts if you...
- Have further questions
- Would like to check on the status of an Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery request
- Request Document Delivery -