|Waring Historical Library|
email@example.com | 843-792-2288
Since 2005 Susan Hoffius has served as the curator of the Waring Historical Library. Her responsibilities include the management of the Waring Historical Library, MUSC University Archives, Digital Library, and Macaulay Museum of Dental History. In addition to library reference services, Ms. Hoffius coordinates community-wide lectures and other special events, lectures on the history of MUSC, and collaborates with colleagues at MUSC and beyond to collect, preserve, and promote the history of the health science in South Carolina.
- Masters in Library Science, archives management concentration, Simmons College, Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences, Boston, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Art, Classics, art history concentration, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts
- The Waring Historical Library: A History, Charleston, S.C.: Waring Library Society, November 2012. Second author with W. Curtis Worthington Jr.
- Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Publishing, April 2011. First author.
- "Archives, accessibility, and advocacy: a case study of strategies for creating and maintaining relevance," Journal of the Medical Library Association 99(1) January 2011. Second author (Peer-reviewed)
- "Rethinking Library Strategy," Co-presenter, Southern Chapter, Medical Library Association, Annual Meeting, October 5, 2016.
- "Using History, Making History: the Resources of the Waring Historical Library, Appletree Session, August 11, 2016.
- "Digitizing pathology specimens: A collaborative project to preserve and make accessible MUSC's wet specimen collection," Presenter, Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences, Annual Meeting, May 8, 2014.
- "If you are researching Southern medical history, you need to come to the Waring Historical Library and here's why," Presenter, Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, Annual Meeting, Feb. 27, 2014.
- "Medical Society of South Carolina and the Birth of Roper Hospital." Presenter, Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, 2013 Conference, February 22, 2013.
- "Using CONTENTdm to win friends and influence people." Presenter, Southeastern CONTENTdm Users Group 2011 Conference, May 12, 2011.
Selected Recognition and Awards
- 2014 Publication Award from the Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences
- 2011 Program Innovation Award from the South Carolina Archival Association
- 2009 President's Award from the South Carolina Archival Association